The church of Bagnères-de-Luchon is dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption. The image of the Virgin can be found in bas-relief in the tympanum above the main door of the western façade constructed in 1890. Sadly, this door is closed and scaffolding is used to keep the Romanesque-style archway and lintel from collapsing. The most important vestige of the old parish church is the 12th century Gothic northern portal of the nave. Just beside this door is a cross which depicts the instruments of Christ’s Passion. The rest of the church was destroyed in 1850 under the vain pretext that the church had become too small, given the growing affluence of the town due to tourists, holidaymakers and spa guests. It was built during the time of the Second Empire and completed in 1857 under the direction of architect Emile Loupot who was heavily influenced by the Byzantine and Lombard styles of architecture. The building consists of a vaulted nave lined with chapels and a sanctuary with three apses vaulted in a cul-de-four (quarter-sized sphere shape). There are several chapels of note within the church such as the chapel to the Sacred Heart of Jesus with stained glass window and the Lady Chapel with murals of the Virgin, St-Joseph and St-John the Evangelist. Other frescoes throughout the church, particularly those behind the altar, were painted in the second half of the 19th century by Romain Cazes, a pupil of Ingres. Together they form three large compositions. The first is “The Coronation of Mary” and is located in the upper arch of the sanctuary. Jesus sits on a throne raising a crown to the head of the Virgin. Beside them are two seated angels wearing lighted candles while another two stand in praise of them. Above this arch is the second composition, “The Litany of the Blessed Virgin” with Mary holding in her lap the Child of God. Saints in procession surround her on all sides. The third tableau represents “The Divine Liturgy” which Cazes wanted to symbolize the sacrifice at Calvary and the sacrifice of the Mass. Jesus rests on a throne in front of the altar. The paintings throughout the church have suffered degradation over the last 150 years in large part to improper restorations, specifically the restorations in 1924. Seepage and cracks in the roof have damaged many works of art. In January 2006, a group of supporters established l'Association pour la Sauvegarde et la Restauration des Peintures de l'Eglise de Luchon—the Association for the Preservation and Restoration of Paintings of the Church of Luchon (ASPEL). In the 1960s the old altar was modified and moved forward so that the priest would face the people.