Upon entering le jardin public of Cherbourg, one is presented with the monument in memory of those Cherbourgeois who died for France. The somber statue designed by sculptor Descatoire looks down at the wall engraved with hundreds of names. It was inaugurated in 1924.
To the left and right of the garden entrance are two corner houses or pavilions that were built in 1889.
Le jardin public of Cherbourg was founded in 1887 and is located at the foot of Roule Mountain. The garden’s area of 1.7 hectares features pools fed by a mountain spring creating tranquil pools for ducks, swans, a variety of exotic birds, and turtles.
A nearby pool was once inhabited by a large sea-lion perhaps the most popular attraction in the garden. Her name was "Flamboyante" and she was fed twice a day (except Mondays) at 10AM and 4:15PM much to the delight of the Cherbourgoise. After 20 years, the pool is being closed and Flamboyante is moving somewhere where there will be other sea-lions. A local celebrity leaves us.
In 1892, a bust of the local area’s most famous painter Jean-François Millet, adorned with decorative figures, was established in the garden by famous French sculptor Henri-Michel-Antoine Chapu.