The Saint-Nicolas quarter is actually the city center of Le Mans. It is devoted to pedestrian shops and as of 2008, no vehicles are allowed on the streets. La Place de la Republique is the center of the neighborhood and the main rallying point for the city. The Visitation Church was constructed between 1723 and 1737. It is a very rare and beautiful example of Regency style architecture in western France. It was built according to plans designed by Sister Anne-Victoire Pillon. At the same location, the district is crossed by tram. This part of the city has many old buildings although more recent compared to those in the Cité Plantagenêt dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. Today it is also the site of Vainqueurs des 24 heures du Mans where signatures, footprints and handprints of winners from the towns’ famous race can be found engraved in bronze—a regular outdoor walk of fame.