In 991, the Benedictine monks of Cormery complained to Hugues Capet, the King of France, that Fulk Nerra, Count of Anjou (17 years old and Earl of Anjou in 987), was building a fort on their land in Montbazon. Despite their annoyance, the King did not interfere as Montbazon served as a strategic point over the Indre. From 994 the fortress was the site of fierce battles between Fulk Nerra and the powerful Counts of Blois. The construction of a fortress around the previous fort at the end of the 10th century ensured control over the entire Touraine. In 997, the donjon and fortress went to Fulk Nerra’s adversaries and he had to wait nearly 40 years before could resume power a few years before his death in 1040. A huge expansion with construction of towers around the entrance and walls continued in 1175 under the orders of Henry II. The buildings were made with the rough stone extracted directly from the limestone plateau supporting the donjon. At the same time, this made it possible to simultaneously create a defensive ravine. In the early 13th century King Philip Augustus of France took the fortress from Henry II. In the 16th century it became a duchy under the control of Louis VII de Rohan, the first Duke of Montbazon. In 1425, a second castle was built opposite the old donjon. This new castle was demolished without a second thought in 1746 and its remains used to build a road to Spain (now the N10). The donjon itself has escaped destruction because it was inhabited until 1725 but its steps and one small tower collapsed in 1791. By then, the municipality had authorized the destruction of the entire site. In 1797 the wall of the donjon was hit by lightning that caused a large crack in its side, still visible today. Soon, the building was relegated to the simple role of warehouse and its summit disfigured between 1823 and 1852 by the Chappe telegraph installation. In 1860, the site was purchased by a patron of the arts and the donjon restored by 1866. At that time the Empress Eugenie, wife to Napoleon III, had a 9.5-meter-high, 8-ton bronze statue of the Virgin Mary and Child installed at the top. All that remains are the statue, the donjon and some protective walls from the 15th century. After years of neglect, in 2000 a restoration project of the donjon was launched with a private initiative. Today the work of consolidation and repair are coming to an end, allowing tourists to enter and experience the medieval fort. The bridge over the Indre was completed in 1758 according to plans by the engineer of roads and bridges, Matthieu Bayeux. The Hôtel de Ville which rests at the foot of the plateau and directly beside the parish church dates from 1836.