L'église de Hainneville
This small church is in the parish of Our Lady of the Assumption in Equeurdreville. Built on the hill looking over the sea, it stands in the middle of the cemetery like many rural churches in the Cotentin. There was another religious building on the site in the 11th century under the patronage of the Abbey of St-Sauveur-le-Vicomte. It was in 1650 that Louis Gigault Bellfonds, lord of Hainneville became the patron and founded the Brotherhood of the Holy Trinity.
Turrets that blend with the building flank the tower and has a portal with an arched opening supported by pilasters topped with a classical triangular pediment.
Le manoir de Hainneville
There is a deed that proves the existence of a house on this site belonging to Jean de la Roche Tesson until 1345. It then became the property of the abbots of Mont-St-Michel in 1394 in exchange for land near Caen. Later it was given to Louis Gigault Bellfonds who built a new mansion on the foundations of the old ruined building.
The building was altered by Louis Gigault Bellfonds’ son (great grandson of Louis XVIII) during the early 19th century. From 1880 the manor passed into the hands of different owners. During World War II, German and U.S. troops occupied the building. After that it fell into disrepair and in 1995 it was acquired by the city. In 2002, the city council voted unanimously to save the manor and the redevelopment of the park that surrounds it.
The park of three acres has been landscaped by the city. Walking paths, a paved courtyard, terraces and walls of an amphitheater were rehabilitated. The planting of exotic and aromatic flowers and shrubs makes it an enjoyable place to walk or have a picnic.