Not far from Carentan within the Parc Naturel Régional des Marais du Cotentin et du Bessin is the remarkable medieval church of Saint-Étienne d’Appeville. It became an historic monument in 1950 and is one of the most interesting in the region due in part to its lantern tower. Becoming too small for the parish, the building was totally restructured in the 13th century. The plan is simple, a Latin cross with just a chancel and nave, flat chevet and prominent transept. Outside the church, one is immediately struck by the square tower resting on the cross of the transept. The lower floor is in the form of a lantern tower, the higher floor is the bell tower in an eight sided pyramidal shape. Each face of the tower has five gemeled arches. One notable external feature is the vaulted 15th century covered porch on the west entrance. The internal decoration of the church dates mainly from the 18th century. Notably the main altar in gilded wood and polychrome; the pews in carved oak; the painted, gilded crucifix; the magnificent pulpit carved in oak, evocative of a heart with harps.