On the top of a small hill overlooking the château and the village of Réville is the church of Saint Martin. A tall bell tower of three floors stands on the north side of the church—its upper levels perforated on each side by twin bays topped by an oculus. It is crowned with a balustrade of corbels that supports the surrounding platform on which stands a tall spire with arrow slits from the 15th and 16th centuries. It is clearly inspired by the spire at Notre Dame de Carentan. The church consists of a nave from the 12th century and a choir of two bays, built in the 13th century without collateral damage to the interior. It was enlarged in the 15th century by the addition of an aisle to the south and another to the north during the modern era. Massive stones support the walls of the nave flanked by Romanesque columns. The capitals of the columns display a variety of motifs that are typical of the Cotentin region—personages of warriors, angels, bearded Vikings and monsters. The columns also offer support to the barrel vaulted ceiling in the shape of a ship’s hull now covered in wood panelling and entirely whitewashed. The nave and the choir are separated by an 18th century wooden arch called a “perque” with a 16th century Christ at the center. Within the St-Jacques Chapel is the marble tomb of Béatrix Fouace (1874 - 1888) created by Guillaume Fouace between 1888 and 1889. Fouace was an artist born and raised in Réville and is perhaps best known for his large 19 religious paintings that were commissioned for church in Montfarville. The altar of St-Jacques is made of wood and dates from the late 18th to mid-19th century. The faux red, green and gray marbling is quite realistic even from close up. From left to right are 19th century plaster statues of martyr St-Sébastien, in the center St-Jacques and to the right St-Benoît. The altar itself is adorned with six large candelabras and five small bronze reliquaries. At the center of the choir is the high altar dating from the mid-19th century. To the left and right are statues of St-Martin and of St-Michael defeating the dragon. The painting above the tabernacle shows the Ascension of Jesus. In the chapel dedicated to the Virgin is an enormous wood altar painted in trompe l'oeil. It features motifs of Christ’s Passion as well as eight exquisite round miniatures depicting episodes from His life and that of His mother. The statue on the left is of the Blessed Thomas Hélye from the 19th century, in the center is the Virgin with Child also from the 19th century and to the right a late-17th century wood statue of Saint Joseph. Hanging from the vaulting inside the chapel is a model of a ship called “Étoile de la Mer”. It is an “ex-voto” placed here by mariners expressing their gratitude for rescue from a shipwreck. Within the baptismal chapel are the limestone font, a statue to St-Eloi, and a painting from 1880 by Guillaume Fouace depicting a baptism at the church. Written in old French, one of the columns has a limestone epitaph from 1519 for an Olivier Roussel. Due to a restoration effort in 2009, the church is in excellent condition however, I personally don’t approve of the seemingly endless whitewashing of nearly every stone inside. It looks cheap and it takes away the unique history of natural stone masonry.