In 1635 Odet d'Harcourt built on the site of a medieval château. In 1714 and 1723 it was enlarged and came to be known as the “château of 264 windows”. It was enlarged in 1714 and 1723. Louis XVI briefly stayed here in June of 1785 when he made the trip to Cherbourg to inaugurate the new port.
During World War II, nearly 75% of the down was destroyed by Allied bombs but the château escaped damage. It was with fierce fighting against the British 59th Division in August of 1944 that the Germans left town and set fire to the château. Sadly, the fire destroyed many public archives for Normandy including a library of 15,000 volumes, hundreds of family records and works of art of great sentimental and historical value.