Themis and Minerva were the two Greek goddesses of justice and war. The originals were created in the 18th century by French sculptors Philippe Laurent Roland (1746-1816) and Jean-Antoine Houdon (1741-1828) and adorned the façade of the Palais Bourbon. During that building’s restoration, casts replaced the originals.
The originals were then unloaded by the National Assembly and gifted go the city of Cherbourg. Renovations of the statues were made by Peter Brattle in 1989 and were installed in two roundabouts that now carry their names. Since June of 1990 they have been classified as historic monuments.